The Institute at Renfrew has something for everyone…
For school-aged children, The Institute at Renfrew provides a full range of environmental programs and cultural history education within a beautiful setting. Our hands-on, experiential learning programs create meaningful encounters with nature and with history. Using the natural park areas and historic buildings on the property, our professional instructors ensure authentic learning and long-standing memories for students.
If you are an adult or teen you can enjoy The Institute at Renfrew too! Among the many experiences offered, you can:
• Wade into the Antietam Creek and learn about its connection to the Chesapeake Bay, only two hours away
• Fish if you wish, or join our water-monitoring team
• Marvel at the beauty of the flax plant with its sky-blue flowers in May and rattling seedpods in July. Flax was the “cloth of the farm” for the early German settlers who made their homes here.
• Try your hand at a heritage craft and take home a new family treasure
• Come along to view the night sky, listen for owls, or explore the geology of our mountains and valleys
• Celebrate the Earth during Earth Celebration Day and Festival of Art in April, or let your spirits soar at our annual Kite Fly
• Jump into an array of workshops and entertainment opportunities at the Youth Festival
• And when August rolls around, laze on the lawn and listen to world-class jazz on a Sunday afternoon.
Explore our website to find out more about what The Institute at Renfrew has to offer. Then come for a visit. We would love to meet you and share our stories about the natural wonders of our park and the people who walked this land and farmed its fields long ago. And please contact us if you have questions about our programs and events.